Programs used: ZBrush and Photoshop
So we begin the Megabeast with a simple ZSphere quadruped. We then click adaptive mesh and begin blocking out the major shapes- taking care not to get too specific yet, we just want to get a basic idea of the form. I believe I used a lion anatomy for reference while getting the shape locked in with the clay buildup brush, and the standard brush to leave some landmarks for when I subdivide later.
After settling on a complementary purple, yellow/orangeish color scheme for the beast, I appended a pair of eyes to him and filled them with the toy plastic material to get a simple built in reflection. I then decided to nerf the original tube shaped antennae on the beast back in favor of a more bony, and spiky rock type of look.
I also go ahead and subdivide up and begin carving in the musculature with the dam standard brush, and adding some minor color variations with color spray, alpha settings and polypaint.
The final touches after pretty much nailing the amount of detail I want on the body and face of the Mega Beast would be to set up some interesting default lighting under light caps and using Transpose Master to give him a (more or less) menacing pose. I then BPR render the depth, shadow, shaded, and mask PSDs and move on to Photoshop. Under Layers I play around with the color intensity and translucence of the beast until I get something that most folks find unpleasant to say the least. Mission accomplished.